Saturday, October 8, 2011

Sample exam style questions


3 Marks question
Module – 8.3
Focus point - 8.3.5 - Maintenance of organisms requires growth and repair
Outcome Addressed: P6
Band level targeted – 2-4

  1. John was observing a fast growing onion root tip under a microscope. Help him to identify the various stages of mitosis and give reasons to why do you think each cell exhibit the particular stage of its mitotic division.




Identify the cells (by number) and characteristics which are in the following stages of mitosis:
interphase _____________
prophase _____________
metaphase _____________
anaphase _____________
telophase _____________

Marking Guidelines
  • Identifies the cells by number and characteristics of each stages correctly in all 5 stages of mitosis– 3 Marks
  • Identifies the cells by number and characteristics correctly in any 4 or 3 stages of mitosis                                                          - 2 marks
  • Identifies the cells by number and characteristics correctly in any 2 or 1 stages of mitosis – 1 Marks

Sample answers

Interphase- 4, 5, 6,8,10,13,15,16,18, characteristic observed- it’s the non mitotic phase or the resting phase.
Prophase- 2, 14- chromosomes condense and become visible. The nuclear membrane starts to dissolve.
Metaphase- 1,11,17- The chromosomes line up in the middle of the cell or equator and nuclear membrane completely dissolves .
Anaphase- 7 , 9- chromatids move to the opposite side of the poles.
Telophase- 3, 12- The chromosome decondenses, Nuclear envelope forms and two daughter cell forms.

3 comments:

  1. The above image was copied from http://belmont.sd62.bc.ca/teacher/starworks/SWSC10/SW%20SC10%20Mitosis%20WS.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your question as it requires them to apply their knowledge of what each phase appears like instead of just recalling. I wonder about the wording in the first part of the question. It asks for students to give reasons as to why each cell exhibits the particular stage of it's stage of mitosis. The marking guidelines require students to name the characteristics of the stage of mitosis. To me these seem a little different. Maybe the first part could (above the digram) could also ask for characteristics of the phases instead. That way the students may have more clarity on what they are required to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meera.
    I think that the statement
    'Identify the cells (by number) and characteristics which are in the following stages of mitosis' is a bit confusing. I suggest that you could rephrase it as 'Identify the cells (by number) and give the characteristics of each of following stages of mitosis.I even think that the first part was enough. I think the question is good for Band 2-4 students.In my opinion you have designed the question to the most suitable outcome which is very important.Overall you have done a good job.The choice of diagram is excellent.I think I can use this question next year when I teach this topic.

    ReplyDelete